Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Basics

This plan is a work in progress.   I’m using what I’ve learned over the years from the programs I’ve participated in and what’s been successful for me.  With that in mind this is what I’m trying.  This post is a summary, I'll post more on each item in future posts.   I am not a doctor or dietitian, consult with your doctor before following this plan.

Set Some Measurable Goals - Set long term and short term goals.  Be realistic.  Don't just focus on weight, consider wellness and lifestyle.
Measure Results - Track your progress against your goals.  Make adjustments to your lifestyle if you're not on track.

Planning
Evaluate my upcoming week - social events, meetings, travel, dinners or lunches out, etc. and developing strategies to tackle any obstacles that will pull me off track.
Do a weekly food plan with consideration given to weekly schedule, daily calorie range and eating a balanced diet.  Incorporate lots of veggies, fruits and high fibre cereals/breads/pastas.

Red Meat, Red Wine, Chocolate?
Limit red meat to 2 – 5 oz. portions of red meat per week or 5 – 3 oz. portions.  Choose lean cuts.  No processed meats!
Red Wine – 5 oz. per day, NO MORE!  Avoid sweet wines.  Daily wine portion cannot be “saved up” and consumed all at once.
Chocolate – 1 oz. per day, dark chocolate.  Avoid chocolate desserts that are full of fat and sugar.
Practice Portion Control – measure food and become familiar with what a portion looks like.
Track Food Intake - Keep a food journal, record everything eaten along with water and exercise.
Enjoy Every Bite and Sip - Choose/prepare food/drink that’s full of flavour and savour every bite/sip.  Eat/drink slowly.
Avoid Processed Foods and Sugar or Salt Laced Food

Exercise Daily - 1 hour of activity per day
Read and Research - Read labels, go to the library or online to learn about the foods you are eating.  Know what you are putting in your body.

So, that's my plan.  I am starting it the beginning of September.  I've also had more success with weight loss when I've followed a plan with the encouragement and support of friends.  So feel free to follow and post.

Cheers!
Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment